Leave the door open for the unknown, the door into the dark | Rebecca Solnit, A Field Guide to Getting Lost

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Travel in Turbulent Times

I'll preface this post by saying I'm ashamed to have missed this NYTimes article. I have no defense; at the time it came out, I was making my way into Ecuador, where I'd stay put for three months and have plenty of time to read The Times.

I'm also ashamed of my dear readership! Is this because you have to pay to read the Times now? Did none of you stumble across this article and think of me? For shame! All of us.

OK, enough scolding...LOOK!
An article on travel by Paul Theroux...and here is a fine, fine excerpt:

“Don’t go there,” the know-it-all, stay-at-home finger wagger says of many a distant place. I have heard it my whole traveling life, and in almost every case it was bad advice.

Oh, Paul. Oh Paul Paul Paul. Truer words were never spoken. When do you want to meet for a drink?

Read the full article here...if you can afford it!


No comments:

Post a Comment